Arts Weekend 2017
Join us on Mackinac Island for a special weekend at one of the world’s finest hotels where you will enjoy private porch receptions, unique programming, fine gourmet dinners, and good company!
Activities include a performance by the MSU Department of Theatre, guided tour of the Manoogian Mackinac Island Art Collection led by Tatum Walker ‘13 (MSU Alumna and Associate Director of Digital Strategy at Ford’s Theatre), talk by Adam Brown (Digital Artist and Associate Professor), and an interactive improv workshop led by Sarah Hendrickson '04 (MSU Alumna and MSU Instructor of Improvisation), and a special presentation on Saturday evening in the Theatre. This is the perfect weekend to bring out your passion for the arts!
A portion of your reservation fee will help support the Grand Hotel Endowed Scholarship for Arts & Letters, assisting students interested in exploring creativity inside and outside the classroom.
- Musical theatre performance by MSU Department of Theatre students
- Guided tour of Manoogian Art Collection led by Tatum Walker ’13 (MSU Alumna and Associate Director of Digital Strategy at Ford’s Theatre)
- Presentation by Adam Brown, digital artist and College of Arts & Letters faculty member—“Art in the Laboratory: Working with Living Materials." Join artist Adam W. Brown, Associate Professor of Electronic Art and Intermedia as he discusses how he blurs the boundaries between art, socio/political activism, research and science to create new forms of artistic expression.
- Interactive workshop led by Sarah Hendrickson ’04 (MSU Alumna and MSU Instructor of Improvisation) - Entertain You! Improv Workshop (This fun, interactive workshop explores the principles and processes of improvisation, focusing on the concepts of ensemble, creativity, and improv's famous phrase, "Yes, And.”)
- Evening performance: Entertain You! Improv Show (An improvisational comedy show, featuring a cast comprised of Chicago comedians and MSU alumni who have performed with various theaters, including Laugh Out Loud, iO Chicago, and The Second City. Watch and laugh as the cast creates family-friendly scenes, songs, and games all made up on the spot, based on audience suggestions.)
Arrive: Friday, June 23, 2017
Depart: Sunday, June 25, 2017
Standard Room: $1,065 per couple, $965 single
Lakeview: $1,499 per couple, $1,399 single
Stay additional nights Thursday June 22 and/or Sunday June 25 for $229 per room, per night. Subject to Michigan 6% sales tax, 2% Mackinac Island assessment and a $8.00 per person baggage handling charge. Regular additional adult and children’s rates apply.
- Full breakfast and five-course dinner daily
- Friday evening Welcome Reception
- Saturday evening reception
- All theater, art, music performances, and seminars
- Free admission to the Richard and Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum
- Special discount on ferry boat tickets
- No tipping within Grand Hotel
Visit Grand Hotel’s website to make your reservation, or call 1-800-33GRAND:
The Grand Hotel Endowed Scholarship for Arts & Letters, created by the Musser Family, supports students wishing to pursue creative endeavors both inside and outside of the classroom. A portion of your reservation fee will help support this important scholarship. To give directly to the Grand Hotel Scholarship visit Giving To MSU.